The North Somerset Yeomanry was formed as a cavalry regiment in 1798. Known as the Frome and Selwood Volunteers it had the job of protecting towns and villages in the event of an invasion by Napoleon. By 1817, a number of small cavalry regiments had joined and the regiment was renamed the North Somerset Yeomanry.
During the Great War, the 1st Battalion fought on the Western Front, the 2nd was a territorial force, and the 3rd Battalion were a training unit.
Commonwealth War Graves